There is always something to fix or work on.
Today, I walked out to the barnyard and found a small lake. The cattle had bumped the float on the water tank enough that it sheared the hose off. Water was gushing everywhere except for in the tank.
Half the herd was standing around an empty water tank and the three goldfish were flopping around in a muddy corner; barely alive. I got a hose in the tank quick and saved the fish, and made the thirsty cows happy. (You can see the first cow drink with the three fish in the photo)
The initial quick-fix was with some electrical tape and a fitting that kind-of worked. Shortly after, we were able to replace with a new float. We went with a better one that attaches more firmly to the stock tank and has a lower profile.
We're hopeful the new Rubbermaid Float Valve from Wilco will hold up better. It seems to be much more sturdy.
Lorin and I have been around agriculture our whole lives. We're happy to be part of the family farm.